Three civilians killed in attack on army truck in Mandalay Region
Local resistance forces say they mistakenly believed that the car the victims were driving in was travelling together with the targeted vehicle
Resistance forces in Mandalay Region have admitted to inadvertently killing two adults and a six-year-old child during an attack on a military vehicle earlier this week.
The incident occurred on the Myingyan-Natogyi road near the village of Nyaung Pin Thar at around 10pm on Tuesday, when a local defence team opened fire on an army truck with light weapons after ambushing it with explosives.
According to a spokesperson for the group responsible for the attack, the civilian victims were in a white Toyota Passo directly behind the targeted vehicle.
“Their car was following close behind the military truck. We thought they were travelling together with the military, so we fired on them,” he said, adding that the group had no intention of harming members of the public.
He also added that more than one group was involved in the incident, but declined to identify them.
The three civilians who were killed—identified as Than Htike Myo, Nyein Thandar Thin, and six-year-old Shwe Bhone Thit—were among nine people inside the car when it was hit by a barrage of bullets. A man and a woman were also injured.
Junta-controlled state media reported on the incident on Thursday, but made no mention of a military vehicle being attacked.
A local man who spoke to Myanmar Now on condition of anonymity said that regime forces have blocked roads in the area and were conducting security checks around the towns of Myingyan and Natogyi.
Junta authorities have also ordered residents to remain indoors after 8pm and have imposed a ban in Myingyan on having more than one person on a motorcycle, he added.
Resistance groups based in the area have also issued warnings to the public, telling locals to avoid going out at night and urging them to stay away from junta forces.